The BASHandSlash.com Feed

BASH Webcasts

Sunday, August 19, 2007

United we stand - Divided we fall: at the hands of our leaders

An Editorial:

Normally, I never talk politics on here. I know that most of you have enough of that at work; however, I cannot stand idly by when I see leaders in the CoD community, either:


a) trying to rip at others in that same community

or


b) pry open sore wounds in our community, causing them to worsen.


Therefore, I have to wonder aloud what the thinking was over at codhq.com when it was decided to poll on whether folks liked the bpcod2.com (Breaking Point) tourney better than the bfecod.com (Battle for Europe) variant.

Some background:

I'll get flak for this but, first off, both tournaments are nearly identical. They cover the same topic, namely they are Call of Duty2 tournaments set in WWII. Their similarity is not a surprise when you note that bfecod.com unintentionally begat bpcod2 and they share some of the same genetic code. A group of disaffected youngsters playing in bfecod, broke away about two years ago and formed their own tourney: bpcod2. The two groups have been bickering ever since. The rift is worsened by the fact that distance and culture separates the main proponents of both groups:
Bfe seems to attract Europeans a bit more than does bpcod. It is sad to see, given that they clearly share mutual love for a similar gametype.

As the newer kid on the block, bpcod is attracting folks away from bfe, wrankling many of the admins in bfe. Heck, wouldn't *you* be upset if you saw your monopoly suddenly face competition from a young upstart?

I would be.

Imagine the Coca Cola board of director's meeting the day after they found out about Pepsi. How would Coke counter the Pepsi threat?

Well, I bring up that analogy, because we're in the counterattack phase right now. And tensions are high and nerves are raw.

The best thing the community elders could do at this point is douse everyone with water and say soothing things. But alas, some folks in the community would rather light a match.

For that reason, I must wag my finger at my friends at codhq.com and suggest that having a poll like the one they are currently running will just fan flames. I hope that this was not done to intentionally cause even more polarization - but the appearance of it (given that codhq.com supports BFE) is quite strong.

Regardless of what we think of each other in this community, I caution folks to turn the other cheek, I call that the "What would Jesus the Gamer do?, philosophy and as they say in Scotland: take the high road boyos.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down that poll.

Peace.

- Jock


Full disclosure: I've had or will have members of both bfecod and bpcod2 on BASH - and I've also had JD on from codhq.com. They all seem like fine, level headed folks and I have no personal animosity with any of them. My comments above are on behalf on the CoD player in me.




Adapted from the Boys On The Docks lyrics

Say hey Johnny boy hear the battle call.
United we stand, divided we fall.
Together we are what we can't be alone,
We came to the CoD2 community and made it our home.